NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Lost & Found
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-12, 01:21 PM   #11
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Carl, I understand the sentimental connection with yourlate father. I'll be praying your boat is recovered undamaged. The thief doesn't get that much consideration.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 01:55 PM   #12
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Thanks for embedding the photos. Johnkies, as Trout8 said, a tag is not needed in Alabama and since both the trailer and boat were homemade in my garage, neither have an VIN type ID. However, there are many unique features of both the boat and trailer that set it apart from any other driftboat and trailer out there. Someone would have to know driftboats to recognize them, but anyone who does can see them. I can certainly ID the boat and I have... oh, maybe a hundred or so photos of it dating back to 1995. It was very common to have it on a boat ramp, even with other driftboats around and have people walk over and start inspecting it and commenting on the unique features of this particular boat and trailer.

For instance, look at the huge steps on the trailer. I wanted bigger steps than those on manufactured driftboat trailers so that I could stand on them and clean out the boat easily. The roller on the back is different (much larger in diameter) and is mounted differently. As you can see, the boat rests on it. The axle is square tubing and the rotors are from a 1977 AMC Matador because AMC bolted their rotors on that car (yes, I actually did research to find a bolt on automobile rotor so that I could confidently tow it around at interstate speeds.) Those rotors are bolted with grade 8 bolts on to a steel plate welded onto and gusseted to the axle. The winch stand is welded to the frame, not bolted on with u-bolts. This trailer was built with the idea that it would last for generations and be pretty hassle free. It is different although looks just like any driftboat trailer at first glance.

There are many unique features to the boat as well. The very material it is made out of is different. It is made out of a fiberglass cloth/matt hybrid called biaxial and the pattern looks different than what you would see on a hyde/clacka/lavro etc.
Check out the front deck. It has knee locks like a wooden boat and has a storage compartment for your sunscreen, camera, etc. Totally different from anyone else's boat. Notice the front seat pedestal. It looks like an upside down rubbermaid container because that's what I used for a mold.
The foot actuated anchor release (Bo's system) is from a wooden boat. It has an aluminum angle in the front that is supposed to bolt onto the frame of a wooden boat but I liked it for a foot rest when I had to really lean into the oars in the stairsteps on the Hiwassee.
There is a drain plug under the rowing seat and two on the transom.
The rear seat deck has two stress cracks in the corners of the storage opening from a design/construction flaw. They will come back even if repaired.
It has wooden gunnels and white solid UHMW plastic oar lock blocks.
The floors have a much rougher texture than most other boats. I used vermiculite instead of sand to make the non-skid surface.
The shelf-like rails that the rowing seats on are kind of like what you would see on a Lavro boat but they have various sized rectangular and square "pockets" molded in. There is a cupholder on the right side.
So yeah, the thief would have to make lots and lots of mods to make it NOT look like my boat and trailer. Even painting it and changing this and that will still not change the fact that it is different.

Here is a picture of the rear deck. The top corners above that opening have cracks in them. You can just barely see it here. The boat was a different color and had different seats when this pic was taken years ago.

Here is a picture of that shelf thingy:

And here is a picture of the boat in 1995 or 1996 when it was green/red/white.

Oh, and by the way... THANK YOU for all the concern and for reposting this message on various boards and facebook accounts. I have had nearly 600 responses from people in 10 states and six countries! Please don't give up. If you have friends in fly shops or that run shuttle services, please pass this along. Thank you Byron, Kent, Jimmy and everyone else who is getting the word out!!

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 02:48 PM   #13
zug buggin
Native

i forwarded this thread to a guide friend of mine, hope he will pass it around and somebody will notice the boat on some river somewhere. The boat is very unique and is very noticeable to the eye so it should turn up if the word gets out.

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

Last edited by zug buggin; 10-27-12 at 02:54 PM.
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 03:20 PM   #14
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Carl......if it shows up on the Tuckasegee River.....I'll know it. I fell in love with that boat when you used to store it under the railroad trestle at Hiwassee Outfitters.

It's kinda like stealing the Mona Lisa.....you've got a nice painting but you can't show it or sell it to anybody lest you get busted.

I have a feeling this one will show up eventually.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 07:14 PM   #15
Swamp Angel
President

Keepin' an eye out fer it on the 'Hooch also too. However, if'n I run acrosst it firstest, I cain't guarantee that the blue flecks on the decks won't be joined by a few extra red (or oxidized red) flecks depending on how quickly we get it back to you after finding it. I really, really, really do NOT like thieves! (Partick'lerly boat thieves.) I do promise you, however, that whilst there may be a significant amount of color changing to the interior flecks, you need not worry 'bout enny 7.62mm holes ackshully appearin' in your boat. We rednecks pride ourse'fs on accuracy.

Seriously, though. . . the word is out, along with many of your photos. I hope she turns up soon, brother. I have little doubt that she mos' def'nitely will turn up, though.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:28 PM   #16
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Ha ha... nothing like a good boat thief to bring out the violent tendencies. So far, between NGTO and some other sites, the thief is going to be hung, shot, drowned, and made to suffer God's revenge. I just hope that if I get it back I won't be mistaken for the thief!

Drifter, I think I still have some emails from you from back in those days. You wanted me to sell it to you for a while there.

Thanks again to everyone. I wish I could share the optimism of a quick recovery. I think if it showed up on the Hooch tomorrow it would be in my garage by bedtime but my fear is that it was a local job and some guy in Pine Mountain is going to use it for catfish fishing his pond. Not that I haven't done the same thing before but I can see nobody even knowing anything about it and it spending years just laying on the shore of the pond. Obviously somebody knows where this boat is, it's just a matter of getting the word out to the right people. I made up some flyers today and am going to go on a campaign of putting them all over Pine Mountain tomorrow. Paul Hudson has offered to that in LaGrange as well.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 09:21 AM   #17
Trouty Mouth
Native

I have a bunch of customers down there in those little towns & you can bet that I will be looking around as I drive around there. If you can post a pdf of your flyers, I will be glad to pass them aound where I go! That is just beyone revulsion to steal someone's boat...
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 10:07 AM   #18
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Carl....yeah that was me trying to buy your boat. I was not aware of the sentimental value at the time. Both my boys helped build the one I have now so I know what you mean.

Between you and Kent....don't you have some hookups at the Lagrange Daily News? Maybe you could run a reward photo for a few weeks.

Good luck....and I'll be on the lookout....watching Craigslist for sure.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 11:28 AM   #19
stranahan
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to stranahan

We will keep an eye out for it up this way.

www.southeasternanglers.com
stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 11:20 AM   #20
Rockyraccoon
Native

Send a message via ICQ to Rockyraccoon

Sorry to hear about your boat Carl. One of my first boat rides ever was in your boat. I'll certainly keep my eyes open up here.

www.rockytopanglers.com
Rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote