NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-12, 04:09 PM   #11
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

What's number three?
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 04:10 PM   #12
zug buggin
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSniper View Post
Exact reason I boycott their products... High fullutent, money wastin yuppies... I also find it funny they sell all this elite gentleman's fly fishing gear and clothing with a tone that further promotes that fly fisher's are snobs yet some of there stuff is made in China. At least Filson still makes there's in the US and appears to be of quality that will last and might be worth the price. For all those that like Orvis more power to you but I'm not wastin my hard earned money on over priced Chinese made sub-par items. If your gonna spend that money there are much better brands out there.

Just my 2 cents
TS
I don't boycott their products but seldom buy anything Orvis except the tippet material and I liked the Generation 3 wonder fly line now the Hydros or Helios lines (I can't keep up) but having said that I most certainly don't worship at the Orvis Alter of Fly Fishing.
Also if that crap goes 50% off after Christmas its still about 300% overpriced. This is why I seldom darken the doorway at the Orvis stores

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 04:21 PM   #13
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post
What's number three?
Good catch Mike. I guess I got caught up in the excitement of all the neat stuff.

Let's go with the $300 dollar duck call.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 05:53 PM   #14
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Orvis "Stuff"

Drifter, as a proud owner of an Orvis leather wastebasket, includeing a jumping trout print affixed to the side, I guess inflation shows. I purchased this in '65 for 15 smackers along with a wicker creel w/ a Chase leather strap for another 35 clams. waste basket didn't hold up too well w/ empty beer cans but the creel has carried some trout and of all things, frogs, gigged on small ponds. Ah, them wuz the good old days, all though showing up for a frog gigging in Gordon Co. with a wicker creel brought about some near fist fights. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:54 PM   #15
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
Drifter, as a proud owner of an Orvis leather wastebasket, ..............I purchased this in '65 for 15 smackers...... TRW
You are the man! You should have been an investment banker. I need you to handle my 401k.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 07:33 PM   #16
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Best non-fishing thing I ever bought from Orvis was my waxed leather briefcase. Made by Gokey, it has served me well during my 20 year consultant career and will definitely see me through to retirement. Bash Orvis all you want, but they do sell quality stuff built to last a long time and they stand behind what they sell. Count me as a fan!

PS: I own / fish Orvis bamboo rods that are older than I am.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 08:14 PM   #17
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Orvis,

Ahhhh Buck, couldn't bash them as my penchant for their rods & reels shows through. Just looking at the Oyster opener. As I have a forge or two and an almost unlimited supply of railroad spikes, reckon I should go into business. Should be able to turn these out @ a rate of 8-10 per hr, but not being Orvis branded, bet the price would be much lower. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 09:24 PM   #18
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Orvis reels, yes. Dog beds, no. I'll not have a bed that cost more than the dog.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 10:41 PM   #19
fontinalis
Native

Great post! I enjoyed that thoroughly.

I think I've received no fewer than six Orvis catalogs in the past month. I often thumb through the color catalogs for a good laugh (the $3,000 knives are my favorites), but generally they go straight into the trash.

The "Orvis Fishing News and Sale" or whatever the newspaper-style deal is called is sometimes worth checking out.

I do own a low-end Orvis rod and a Battenkill Bar Stock reel, both of which are excellent. And both of which, added together, cost about as much as the leather and canvas trash receptacle.
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 06:44 AM   #20
fishtacos
Native

I get about 6 orvis catalogs per day.

Sure a lot (most) of their stuff is overpriced. But sporting wise - at least fly fishing wise - they make good rods (both high and low end). Can't speak for the reels. Gear is fine if a little overpriced. Tom Rosenbauer is about as knowledgeable as anyway and, shockingly enough, does not seem to be ego driven.

I have one orvis rod. Rarely spend money there. In fact I only do if I have one of those "Buy $50, get $25 off". But the bashing of Orvis is comical. It's become the cool thing to do.

So think about that overpriced knife when you string up your 'boo rod with the hardy reel or, better yet, that Scott 7wt with the Nautilus reel to catch half dead trout in marginal water.

**** wastebasket - how impractical!
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote