NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-12, 07:58 AM   #21
collinsgto
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
a) Time is not an issue with me.

b) I'm sure that due to this post....Orvis just had a run on Bay Rum.

c) With all the money I save by not buying this stuff.....I'll be able to afford a heart bypass....or two.

Happy Holidays to all.
LOL DANG DUDE!!!! i JUST about spit out my coffee
collinsgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 09:35 AM   #22
fontinalis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
Tom Rosenbauer is about as knowledgeable as anyway and, shockingly enough, does not seem to be ego driven.
Good point. Ridiculous stuff aside, their actual fishing equipment and especially their books, fishing and tying guides, podcasts etc. are top notch.
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 11:25 AM   #23
TroutSniper
Native, Formerly Known as LoggerHeadBowBuster

My problem with Orvis is simply this... When there items were English made with the Hardy Bro.'s they stood for quality and craftsmanship. I respect that and have no problem with these items (prolly why Buck's case and boo rods have lasted so long). But somewhere along the line they started to do like a lot of company's did and move their operations to China but they still try and present an image of the astute affluent fly fisherman. I understand the company is a life style and itís all about the image I just find it pathetic that they do all that and sell a bunch of Chinese made over priced crap. For those that like it and want to present that image more power to you and yall have at it but it ainít for this ole boy. I mean no disrespect for those who enjoy their items but I don't like ANYONE who in my opinion may tarnish or corrupt fly fishing and what it means... but I reckon it means something different to everybody..

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER
TroutSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 11:47 AM   #24
fontinalis
Native

I hear you loud and clear. However, if a newbie picks up a fly rod--made in China or anywhere else--and hits the water, I consider that a win for everyone in the fly fishing and conservation communities.
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 03:19 PM   #25
Fly Me Courageous
Native

The main reason I haven't bought a new Hardy Proaxis (which I really like) is the fact it's made overseas. At least TFO's overseas rods have a price that reflects where they are made.

Until my attitude changes, it's Scott and Winston (green stick) for me.
Fly Me Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 08:10 AM   #26
TroutSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Me Courageous View Post
The main reason I haven't bought a new Hardy Proaxis (which I really like) is the fact it's made overseas. At least TFO's overseas rods have a price that reflects where they are made.

Until my attitude changes, it's Scott and Winston (green stick) for me.
AMEN!!! But watch those low end Winston's there made overseas as well... Sole reason why my rods are Scott, every one made is from CO and no were else...

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER
Old 12-07-12, 08:27 AM   #27
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool "Overseas"

Just a wee Google Earth update here. Both England and China are "overseas". 8> ) To my knowledge the only Hardys made in the USA are greasy burgers...................
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 08:32 AM   #28
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Just a wee Google Earth update here. Both England and China are "overseas". 8> ) To my knowledge the only Hardys made in the USA are greasy burgers...................
I was thinking the exact same thing John, but decided it was not worth it to post! But I still say the world's greatest fly reels were made by British engineers with bad teeth!

PS Thanks alot man, now you got me jones-ing for a Hardy Thick Burger!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 09:15 AM   #29
TroutSniper

You both are splittin hairs... every body know when "overseas" is used they mean Asian... And as far I'm concerned when the English made thier own stuff like when Hardy and Orvis was english made... it was with the same pride and craftsmanship as an American made so to own an English made product ranks right up there with US made... but neither of these companies makes anything in England anymore.

And by the way American burgers come form Hardees not Hardy's but nice try and being a smart alec

Official GATOR HATER
Old 12-07-12, 09:38 AM   #30
fly on the wall
Native

Orvis leader material is the envy of spiders everywhere.
I use Orvis reels to smash spiders. The reels are indestructible.
Filson wool sweaters are the cause of global warming...which spiders like.

...never mind-he's on a roll.