NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-12, 09:53 AM   #31
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default "American" Burgers?

When you say "American" is that as in US of A or the collective North and South American continents? A great deal of fast food beef now comes from South America so that "American burger" is .....? And BTW, thanks for the update on the spelling of the burger joint. We are very fortunate in our area to have some great local joints so I never have to go to a fast food place.

And a wee story on "American made". We bought one of the first mini-vans, a Plymouth Voyager. Great vehicle. Warranty expired and needed repairs I took to our local foreign car repair guy in Lilburn. He says he can't work on an American car, he only works on foreign cars. So I told him, "Jim, look at it this way. The car is from a company run by an Italian, it's made in Canada and from the firewall forward it's Mitsubishi. So what's NOT foreign?"

He laughed and said he would begin work immediately. So, just where/how do we define local vs. foreign? Even those Hardy reels likely contained materials imported into England. And no, not poking at anyone here, it's just a fun discussion on how we define points of manufacture in a global economy.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 11:07 AM   #32
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSniper View Post
but neither of these companies makes anything in England anymore.
Not true. Hardy is making the Perfect and the St. George in the UK again.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 11:57 AM   #33
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
We bought one of the first mini-vans, a Plymouth Voyager. Great vehicle.
If your van was around the same vintage as our old van - a 94 town and country, I would not describe it as a "great vehicle". That thing ate brakes, water pumps, and transmissions.

But I suppose I am getting off topic.

I have two English made Orvis reels, both of which are excellent. When you hold the English reel in your hand with the new China reel in the other hand, even though they look similar, you can just feel that the new one is a piece of *crud*.

It's funny that most folks think Orvis is for snobs - I must be too snobbish for Orvis!
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 12:35 PM   #34
fontinalis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post
If your van was around the same vintage as our old van - a 94 town and country, I would not describe it as a "great vehicle". That thing ate brakes, water pumps, and transmissions.

But I suppose I am getting off topic.

I have two English made Orvis reels, both of which are excellent. When you hold the English reel in your hand with the new China reel in the other hand, even though they look similar, you can just feel that the new one is a piece of *crud*.

It's funny that most folks think Orvis is for snobs - I must be too snobbish for Orvis!
The true definition of a great vehicle is simple: Wood panels = great vehicle.

I, too, must have gotten lucky and bought some good Orvis stuff before the quality dropped off. I would not consider any of my Orvis equipment "high end" and I've never had a problem with any of it.

I am curious about one thing. I bought a Battenkill Bar Stock III reel in 2006 for $99, which I believe was the normal price at the time. It says "Made In England" on the foot. Great reel. I bought it for durability and it has lived up to its billing so far.

I notice this same reel now goes for $145 on the Orvis web site and is listed as "Imported." What exactly does that mean? Whatever it means, that seems like a steep price increase in only six years, hopefully without a decrease in quality.
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 12:38 PM   #35
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontinalis View Post
I am curious about one thing. I bought a Battenkill Bar Stock III reel in 2006 for $99, which I believe was the normal price at the time. It says "Made In England" on the foot. Great reel. I bought it for durability and it has lived up to its billing so far.

I notice this same reel now goes for $145 on the Orvis web site and is listed as "Imported." What exactly does that mean? Whatever it means, that seems like a steep price increase in only six years, hopefully without a decrease in quality.
The BBS reels were made by British Fly Reel (BFR) for Orvis, and then Orvis sent everything (including the CFO's) to be made in China. Hang on to your British made one! As for the price increase; blame that on global warming I guess.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 06:25 PM   #36
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default 1984 Plymouth Voyager

1984 was the first year and I ordered one with the big engine and HS suspension. Put well over 100K miles on it with no real issues besides typical maintenance.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-12, 11:43 AM   #37
wtbfishin
Native

Enjoyed the post, I for one would hope if I had that kind of money I would not spend it on such.

I have a Battenkill mid arbor 8wt which has been sent to the shop 3 times after very little use, granted in the salt but always rinsed and cleaned. The drag system is poor, very little difference no matter where the dial is set. I also have a Lamson Konic, beats it hands down ea click of the drag imparts more tension.

Good to know for someone time is of no issue, you must be a very satisfied man!
Old 10-27-13, 06:48 PM   #38
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default It's Started.

I came home today to find my stack of mail on the dining room table. Beneath the pile of Cabelas and Bass Pro catalogs was the ubiquitous "Orvis Sporting Gifts" catalog. This is not to be confused with the Orvis Christmas catalog that will most likely arrive within the next few weeks. I couldn't wait to peruse the pages in search of this year's most ridiculously over-priced Orvis product.... so into the reading room I went.

I quickly noticed that the Orvis Mother Shucker oyster shucking knife made an encore appearance. I'm guessing these things were either real popular.....or they had a bunch left over from last year. They'll still set you back $129 clams.

If you are striving for that "gentlemanly look" for a paltry $450 bucks....you can own the Orvis Leather Toasting Set.

"Celebrate the fish of a lifetime or your latest limit of birds with a glass of your favorite spirits. This toasting glasses set, complete with four glasses, features a solid wood case wrapped in the finest Spanish leather, with just enough room for a bottle of fine scotch. Finished with piano-style hinges and a strap closure for a gentlemanly look."

Here's a new item for this holiday season...."The Blo-Poke".

"A mainstay around fireplaces for decades, the Blo-Poke is a high-quality, innovative blower and poker tool for restarting fires and adjusting smoldering logs. Built with a mouthpiece and 180-degree air holes at the point tip, keep the coals fueled with air and adjust logs with the same versatile tool. "

I can only imagine how it would feel to have one too many "toasts" with your Orvis Toasting Set....and then in a slightly inebriated state....pick up the Blo-Poke and wrap your lips around the wrong end of this bad boy. Ouch.

If you have an extra $275 lying around....you can score a pair of Orvis Shotshell Cufflinks.

"For the sportsman with a calendar of holiday formal events, these sterling silver cuff links replicate mini shotgun shells. In beautiful blue presentation and storage box."

There is much too much silliness in the 2013 Orvis Sporting Gifts catalog to list in this thread. One thing I did notice...the minions at Orvis have listed which items are imported and which are made in the U.S.A.

Who says the Orvis execs don't read this message board?

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 10-27-13 at 06:56 PM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 05:05 PM   #39
Architorture
Native

Just because you are are an unrefined Barbarian doesn't mean the rest of us are. Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life.

Man, I miss the Orvis Warehouse sales up at Gwinnett Convention Center.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 05:18 PM   #40
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Orvis definitely has some crazy over priced things. If you have some extra jingle in your pockets go for it. They make good stuff and stand behind it. I have some Orvis shirts I wear every year that are 20 years old.

If you want to see crazy, Neiman Marcus Christmas Catalog
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote