NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Sponsor Forums > Fern Valley
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-11, 06:08 PM   #41
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbfishin View Post
Northwestern Montana has at least twice as many cougars as wolves and twice as many grizzly bears. Together they kill more adult deer and fawns than wolves do. Coyotes and black bears take a share as well. On top of that, the area has had two tough winters in a row. Deer totals dropped even where few predators prowl. Yet overall deer numbers remain within the historical average. For that matter, both elk and deer are doing well across the West. As game manager Jim Williams puts it, "With wolves back in the picture along with cougars and bears, we'll have places where elk and deer may never be as abundant again as people remember, and we'll have other places where they'll do fine. There are bigger drivers than wolves in these systems." Studies have shown that winter weather and the quality of wintering habitat are really what control deer and elk populations over time. That and human hunting. out of National Geographic, hmm
First off, wolves were not introduced in NW Montana so your logic is all wrong. The grizzly and cougars have always been there so yes overall deer number remain within the historical levels. Thats game management 101.

Now try looking down south toward Yellowstone were the wolves were introduced. There have been huge decrease in herds. Areas that were once general OTC tags are now limited quota with extremely low numbers. In fact, Montana andf Wyoming had a wolf hunt scheduled but no, the Federal courts stated that since Idaho has so limited wolves, they need to be re-established as ES.

Management of wildlife involves hunting as a tool, not preventing it. Without proper management; deer, turkey, pronghorns, wood ducks, heck all ducks, would be extremely limited in the US.

Ask the folks in CA about the cougar problems and attacks. Same goes with the black bear increase in the NE. Hunting is a management tool, simple as that.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 06:13 PM   #42
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Y'all realize this was a thread about a pretty cool shot of a coyote.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 06:53 PM   #43
Henry Wolfe
Hall of Fame Member

From the AJC this PM:

Hartsfield-Jackson flights briefly delayed by runway coyoteShareThisPrint E-mail .By Christian Boone

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A coyote on the runway briefly delayed flights out of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport Tuesday afternoon, the FAA has confirmed.

More Atlanta area news Ľ
Community Foundation gives $2 million in grants
Judge orders mediation in DeKalb schools suit
Personal care homes, child care institutions zoning meetings set
Summer camp registration Saturday
.The prairie wolf was spotted on the south side of the airport around 3:30 p.m., Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said.

"An airport vehicle chased him into a ravine" and flights resumed after roughly five minutes, Bergen said.

Finding wildlife on runways is not as uncommon as you think.

"They've even had alligators turn up at some Florida airports," Bergen said.

And while it may be the first time a coyote has a delayed a flight out of Hartsfield-Jackson, it probably won't be the last.

Foreign to Georgia just a quarter-century ago, prairie wolves have been seen everywhere from the wetlands around Sope Creek in east Cobb to the heavily wooded neighborhoods in Buckhead. Earlier this month, Decatur residents appealed to city leaders for help in controlling the burgeoning coyote population.

Just last week a dead coyote was found not far off the Downtown Connector.

"There's not much you can do about them," said Brent Womack, a wildlife biologist with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. "They're everywhere. Even New York City has coyotes. "
Henry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:20 PM   #44
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Dang, that fern valley coyote sure gets around!
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:18 PM   #45
wtbfishin
Native

Mr HF it does not seem wolfs were all bad for YS There are still close to 10,000 elk wintering in Yellowstone and perhaps double that number summering in the park. "But wolves are very selective hunters," Smith says. "What counts for them is the amount of vulnerable prey."

Much as experience with wolves can transform cattle into not-so-domestic animals, pack-hunted elk turn into less vulnerable quarry. They become more vigilant and keep on the move more. In the wolfless era, herds practically camped at favorite winter dining spots, foraging on young aspen, willow, and cottonwood until the stems grew clubbed and stunted like bonsai plants. Released from such grazing pressure, saplings now shoot up to form lush young groves. More songbirds find nesting habitat within their leafy shade. Along waterways, vigorous willow and cottonwood growth helps stabilize stream banks. More insects fall from overhanging stems to feed FISH!!! and amphibians. Beavers find enough nutritious twigs and branches to support new colonies.

Surveying the huge northern range, where most of the park's elk winter, Doug Smith turned up just one beaver colony in 1996(the year wolfs were re-introduced)óthe lowest tally in decades. By 2009, he recorded 12. Along Crystal Creek I find another recent beaver dam storing water, releasing a more constant flow for riparian species downstream through the dry months. Ponds and marshes that form behind the dams create habitat for moose, muskrat, mink, waterfowl, wading birds, and an array of other wildlife. After wolves moved in, cougars that had begun hunting the valleys retreated to the steep, rocky terrain they normally inhabit. The big canines killed nearly half the coyote population. They may have rebounded a bit, but the coyotes now live in groups with shrunk territories or as vagabond "floaters." With less competition from elk for grasses, bison may be doing better than ever. hmmm

From a single new predatory force on the land*scape, a rebalancing effect ripples all the way to microbes in the soil. Biologists define the series of top-down changes as a trophic cascade. In a nod to the behavioral factors at play, others speak of the "ecology of fear. The YS wolf count is in decline at this point in time.
Either way I'm done w/this thread giviing you the last word if you like .

That is one of the prettiest Coyoties I've ever seen GB your right.
Oh and who is ND calling a city slicker cause it ain't me
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 10:30 PM   #46
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

This guy really gets around

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:54 PM   #47
Big Browns
Native

I say blast his a on site!!!

We lost a cat a few years back to a neighborhood yote. Don't tell the wife, but it didn't really hurt my feelings, I'm a dog guy

They are getting pushed farther and farther away from the woods and into metro areas. We've had a bad yote problem here in Acworth/Woodstock for a few years now. They seem to be real opportunistic feeders, and neighborhoods offer the perfect fast food takeout. Small dogs, cats, rabbits and just about anything else make a quick and easy meal for a yote. The more they get around people, the more brazen they get.

My wife had one run out from the woods while she was at the bus stop picking up my son. She said it ran within 30' of her an my 4 year old little girl. This was at 2:30pm.

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

The things hump like rabbits and are just about as bad as wild hogs.... My local Sheriff said shoot on site....we actually, his exact words were...."take em out"

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 12:10 AM   #48
raptor
Native

Default yotes in area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
I say blast his a on site!!!

We lost a cat a few years back to a neighborhood yote. Don't tell the wife, but it didn't really hurt my feelings, I'm a dog guy
I have had similiar experiences in my neighborhood. There is a huge pasture and wooded area behind my house that has been home to a pack of yotes for a couple of years. They howl like crazy everytime they hear a siren. I've seen 'em walk right past my backyard fence looking toward my house. Don't seem to be afraid of me or anything. Never let my dog out anymore alone at night. But... before the yotes we hardly ever had a bird nest were the birds made it out-of-the-nest. We had a serious feral cat problem (talk about critters that reproduce !!). The yotes have made a dent in that population. Last spring, I saw some young mockingbirds actual survive to flight status! First time in years. The city put-out some traps and such, but after they caught one or two, the other yotes figured it out.. They adapt very well. It appears they can survive on just about anything anywhere. They may soon (or already be) like the wild hog problems we have been hearing about.
raptor
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:12 AM   #49
wtbfishin
Native

Default one last thing

I looked a little further into this, and your right the majority of the yotes need to go, they don't belong, funny thing is seems the only way that will happen is to re-introduce the Red Wolf of course not likely to happen or even possible. He is the one that belongs in this eco-system to bring back the balance and drive away Coyotes. Their real shy and will not harm mankind never a recorded incident. Cattle, sheep different story, I doubt he'll help w/the feral cats either, doubt you'd see him in town, so urban yotes are probably here to stay.
There is not much chance that guy in the photo forum is a RW, although there is a possibility of a yote/RW mix running around out there as well as any other yote/dog mix.
There are approx. 100 RW in NC 70 of those animals are wearing transmitting collars, so 30 + or - are without. These animal should be important to protect IMO
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 08:48 AM   #50
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Well, after doing a bit more research myself, I am starting to think that this paticular Fern Valley Yote is responsible for all sorts of bad things. We already have evidence that he caused the Hindenberg to blow up, now these new photos have shown up indicating he truly is a world class trouble maker:

Iceberg my tail; it was the Yote that caused the Titanic to sink:

And everyone blames Mike Tyson for biting off Evander Holyfield's ear; look again!

And I am betting that the Wright Brothers first flight would have gone much further had this guy not been playing around:

And you think that Cobra's were all you had to worry about up at the dam?

And I bet Sir Paul wishes he had worn shoes now!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote