NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-13, 10:29 PM   #21
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Honestly, I will tell my grandchildren that I met the artist Billy O when he was just doing bamboo rods.....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 09:01 AM   #22
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Keep it coming Bill. A piece of art in the making..
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 02:13 PM   #23
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Default still going

Thanks for the thoughtful words. You guys are too kind.
There's still a lot of work to go, so I better get things updated.

The next task at hand was to create a design for the top of the receiver. I felt like things were starting to look pretty regal, so I designed a crown shaped pattern to top things off.

The only area I hadn't addressed was the bottom, where I wanted to do something special. I knew I wouldn't have time during the class to complete this, but felt like it would be worth taking the extra time.

To begin with, I chose an area to create the scene I had in mind. I decided to encircle it in an oval "frame", which would of course be accented by fine English scroll to match the rest of the gun.

A little measuring, a few geometric scribbles, the "backbone" scrolls were put in place and I had the general layout set.

This used up the last of my class time. I loaded the bike and pointed East. For the rest, I would be on my own. I'm teaching a rodmaking class this week, so will have to put the gun on hold for a few days. Next week I'll be starting on what should be the most interesting part of all. Thanks for following along!

Bill O.
Old 06-25-13, 03:57 PM   #24
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

We hope!
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 04:23 PM   #25
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post

We hope!
Ditto that.....
Old 06-25-13, 05:02 PM   #26
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Honestly, I will tell my grandchildren that I met the artist Billy O when he was just doing bamboo rods.....
Bill:

Your work is timeless and world class. It is a true blessing to have you as a part of the board. And to think I knew you when you were teaching your classes about how strong and durable bamboo is by taking their newly completed rods and putting them in a ceiling fan. Of course your purposeful demonstration of placing a rod on the ground and stomping on it is something that still wakes me up periodically with night terrors.

I still have that Monty that you worked on several years ago. I don't know if I can ever let it go.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 09:26 PM   #27
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Default back at it...

Back when I was sitting in a hotel in Kansas, I made a decision on the future owner of this gun. The fellow I had in mind could hardly be considered a "stone cold killer". In fact, the theme was going to be toned down a bit to suit the mellow character of the "customer" I had in mind. I made this quick sketch of the idea I had in mind for the bottom of the receiver.

Now it was time to turn my scribble into reality. I copied a rabbit image from the web and turned it into a template much like a tattoo artist might do. Acetone dropped the ink from the paper onto the receiver and gave me a nice outline for the rabbit.

I used a steel scribe (basically a very hard needle) to go over the ink, then cut a faint outline. I adjusted, enlarged, and tweaked the image as needed to fit the space.

With the main character located, I next had to define all of the overlaps which crossed the border I planned to create. The frame would lie under these features so they had to be put in place before the border.
Old 07-02-13, 10:17 PM   #28
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Default the border

At this point, it was time to put aside my planned scene and first complete the surrounding border. I was going to do some gold inlay around the border which would require some heavy handedness. This must be completed first to avoid mucking up the central picture.

I scribed in a quick running leaf border and cut away the background. Next the cutaway edges must be squared up to near vertical, then undercut with a narrow graver point. This creates an undercut cavity which will hold the gold in place. For extra security (guns take a pounding) I dug small directional burrs up on the bottom of the background.

I then used a brass punch to hammer 24K gold wire into the space. Because the cutaway area is somewhat larger than the diameter of the wire. I tacked it lightly into place skipping 1/8" segments. This ensured that the wire couldn't expand lengthwise and lose the mass we need to fill every crevice.

Once the wire was held in place, I aggressively hammered it in with the goal of filling the undercuts and expanding into every corner.

The majority of the excess gold was then trimmed away with a flat edged graver.

Finally, a polished tool steel burnisher is used to forcefully drive the gold down once more to ensure a perfect fit.
Old 07-02-13, 10:41 PM   #29
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Default completing the border

Once the first span was set, I went ahead and filed the gold flush, then finished with 400 grit sandpaper. Everything checked out good so I moved on around, repeating the process on the remaining sections.

All that fussing pretty much wiped out my scribed pattern, so I worked my way around, cutting in the main divisions between the leaves.

I continued to clean up the details, cut the borders, and create the shade lines. One final sanding and the border is done.

Next up... sculpting the scene.
Old 07-03-13, 09:12 AM   #30
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for taking us along with the development of the gun!